Sweet Cinnamon Biscuitsposted on February 4th, 2013 / by Erika Knox / 2 Comments
I love to cook. I love to try new recipes. I love to create new recipes. I have to admit that a lot of the times, I feel like my “imaginary kitchen studio” belongs on an episode of I Love Lucy. From flour in my hair to butter on my face to spaghetti noodles stuck to my ceiling, I can turn a spotless kitchen into a kitchen that belongs on an episode of Hoarders in a matter of minutes. It usually takes me twice as long to clean the kitchen as it does to make the meal. I like to think of my “organized chaos” as “freedom of expression.”
My family is such a blessing when it comes to my passion for cooking. They aren’t afraid to try new dishes – no matter how bizarre they may seem. My husband, Chris, is somewhat of a picky eater. Though I can’t remember him ever refusing to try a new dish, he will definitely let me know when a dish isn’t his favorite. My feelings are never hurt. I encourage him to give me corrective criticism. I know a dish is a hit when my 3 year old daughter, Cadence, loves it! Though she will eat pretty much anything, when she loves something, she will let you know and ask for it again and again.
I found a recipe for Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits in an old recipe book and decided to make them for breakfast one day for my family. Who doesn’t like biscuits for breakfast? The correct answer is “NOBODY!” You cannot go wrong with a homemade biscuit!! Well, unless you do what I did and accidentally switch the measurements of the baking soda with the measurements of the baking powder.
I made the exact same mistake on my second batch of biscuits. But as they say, the third time’s the charm! Let me tell you, once I figured out my mistake and correctly made the biscuits, my family LOVED them! They are not too sweet or cakey like a traditional cinnamon roll and are perfect for breakfast, snack, or dessert (if you add the icing). My family has asked me to make these biscuits time and time again.
This recipe for Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits is the perfect combination between a cinnamon roll and a breakfast biscuit. Not too sweet, not too dry. The best part is it’s easy to make and clean-up is even easier. You can make them in advance and heat them up in the microwave. This is also great for a nice Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed.
Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits
Ingredients for Biscuits:
2 Cups sifted flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ cup milk or buttermilk
4 tbsp melted butter
Ingredients for filling:
4 tbsp softened butter (I like to put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds)
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for icing:
½ Cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions for biscuits:
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in melted butter. Add milk (or buttermilk) and stir until blended.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Roll dough into a 15 x 8-inch rectangle (it’s ok if it’s not perfect.)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Spread the softened butter over the dough.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the dough.
- Roll the rectangle shaped dough starting from one long side. Pinch seam to seal.
- Cut the dough into 1 ½ inch slices (I used an electric knife so that the dough didn’t pinch)
- Arrange the slices in prepared baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned (about 17 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and top with icing while warm.
Directions for icing
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until smooth and creamy.
- Add pecans and stir (optional.)